f
TAGS
H

Magnesium

Magnesium

Posted on February 23, 2015 

219 Views


Magnesium the sleep mineral

The sleep mineral
Description / Chemistry

Magnesium is an important mineral that accounts for about 0.05% of the body’s weight and nearly 70% is found in the body’s bones along with calcium and phosphorus, making up the remaining 30% in the soft tissue and body fluids.
Most of the magnesium is found in the cell where it activates the enzyme necessary for the metabolism of carbohydrates and amino acids.
 
Function

Magnesium is the sleep mineral, it is extremely important, it activates over 5000 different enzymes in the body. Necessary for many functions, magnesium plays a role in phosphate transfer, DNA replication, the proper functioning of nerves and muscles including those of the heart, energy pumps maintaining correct distribution of sodium – Na, potassium – K, calcium – Ca, across cell membranes regulating the acid alkali balance in the body. Helps promote the metabolism and absorption of other minerals as well as utilizing vitamins B-complex, C and E.
Forms tooth enamel protecting teeth from decay and activates 6 different enzymes known to be involved in the metabolism of sugar. Magnesium counters the simulative effects of Ca, Mg, and plays an important role in the neuromuscular contractions on cardiac and skeletal muscles and nerves depending on the proper balance of Ca and Mg to function.
Deficiency Effects

Weakness, vertigo, irregular heartbeat, high blood pressure, muscle cramps, low blood sugar, coronary heart disease, apprehensiveness, muscle twitching and tremor, confusion, depression, irritability, dis-orientation, painful uterine contractions towards the end of pregnancy and kidney stones.
Toxicity Effects

Magnesium toxicity is very rare, occurring when urinary excretion is decreased or after an intramuscular injection. Certain bone tumours and cancers can raise magnesium levels in the body and toxic symptoms can result in depression of the central nervous system, in extreme cases resulting in death.
Medical and therapeutic Uses

Magnesium is benefical for the following uses:
Blood/circular systems: Arteriosclerosis, atherosclerosis, high cholesterol, diabetes, hypertension,
Bones: fractures, osteoporosis, rickets
Bowel: colitis, diarrhoea,
Brain/nervous system: epilepsy, mental illness, multiple sclerosis, alcoholism, nervousness, neuritis, parkinson’s disease
Intestines: celiac disease
Joints: arthritis – hardness and density of bones
Kidney: kidney stones
Leg: leg cramps
Muscles: muscular excitability
Skin: psoriasis
Stomach: vomiting
General: backache, overweight, kwashiorkoi – a form of severe protein–energy malnutrition.
Characterized by oedema, irritability, anorexia, ulcerating dermatoses, and an enlarged liver with fatty infiltrates. Sufficient calorie intake, but with insufficient protein consumption, distinguishes it from marasmus.
 
Good Food Sources

Found in all dark green leafy vegetables, wheat germ – raw and un-milled, soybeans, seed oils, nuts especially almonds, apples, sea-foods, nettles, oat-straw, peppermint, chickweed and thyme



 

This product has been added to your cart

CHECKOUT